Friday, October 2, 2009

Gabe's Art through the ages...


Gabe has always loved drawing. I think he's inherited that artistic ability from my grandma. I love this picture (above) that he titled "Reflections in the water with the fish and the dolphin with cars and smoke and a sun" - a very appropriate title I should say. He drew this picture 6 years ago.



The next art exhibit we have here has no title. It is one of his earliest depictions of his beloved mother. When Gabe showed me the drawing I asked him to point out my features. It is difficult to see Joel's handwriting so you might not be able to see that my ears -which are connected to my neck - are about the same size as my head; my neck takes up about 1/3 of my body; my arms look like two little stumps right above my "boobies" - as Gabe called them - they might be tiny in this picture but at least they were included; and finally, he remembered to give me some shoes although they look more like hot dogs.



Three years after the creation of the lovely Heather drawing Gabe blew me away with this amazing piece. If you cannot make it out - but I bet you can - it's a picture of the inside of a human body. He was even so good as to label the parts of the picture. He sounded the words out onhis own. Let me translate some of the language for you: har=hair, iy=eye, mowth=mouth, orm=arm, lag=leg, fet=feet, sic=sick, slo=slow. I love the magnified drawings of "fast" and "slo" and "good" and "sic".


Last year in school Gabe learned vocabulary words in this way: Depicting the meaning of a word through a drawing. I always loved getting these papers. And more than once I would find myself laughing at his humor and amazed at his creativity. I wish I had kept more of these worksheets, and I wish you could see this one more clearly. The left side is a picture of what looks like two stick figures frantically cleaning. Both stick figures are dripping sweat and one says "whew!" the other figure might be cleaning a window? and saying "respect...this...place...." The word he had to draw was "respect." I think he did a pretty good job. The word on the right side is "demand." He drew a picture of a king yelling "GET ME SOME FOOD!" He even drew a knight into the picture so we could "get the picture." (That was a really bad pun. and I apologize)

I love my Gabe. He is an amazing little boy who wants to do what is right. He is honest and is learning to be responsible. He makes me very proud.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sue said...

Such a creative mind! Can't wait to see where these talents will take him.

Serena Autumn Simonsen said...

hahaha! hilarious! it was difficult to stay quiet while reading those in the library!

Fun and Festive said...

That's a good way for him to remember his spelling words. Brandon would take notes like that when we read the Book of Mormon.