Saturday, June 12, 2010

A Rose in Summer

Emrie Rose is really blossoming this summer. It's fun to watch her become more and more a little girl instead of a toddler. I still call her "baby love" and Joel repeatedly tells her she's not allowed to grow any older. We find it adorable when she does or says something you would expect from an older child but love it when her still young mind sees the world as a place full of new and exciting adventures.

She takes things so literally. About a month ago I was gathering up the kids so we could get our car that Joel dropped off at the auto shop. I said "daddy has to pick up the car" and Emrie looks at me with a look of dismay and says "but it's too heavy." Then a few weeks ago Joel had to punish Emrie because she disobeyed. He told her she was being punished because she "broke the rule" and through her tears and sobs she replied "but I didn't drop it."

Lately she's been having nightmares. Yesterday and today she woke crying and saying that she didn't feel well. When I finally got her to explain her fears she said that she heard a booming in her chest (it's cute to watch her find the right words to describe what she means). I asked what it was like and she said it was a bumping in her chest. I asked if it was like bu-bum bu-bum bu-bum (I tried my best to mimic the sound of a heart beating) and she agreed that that was what she was feeling. I told her it was normal. I explained that it is the sound of her heart she is hearing and that it makes that noise so it can pump her blood through her body. I said that it is good for her to hear that noise because if her heart were to stop then she would die. Well, I don't think I said the right thing to her because after I said that she got worried that somehow her heart would stop. At breakfast she asked if her heart would stop if she ate her yogurt. When I gave her some juice she asked if it would make her heart stop. Then again yesterday at lunch she had the same question. Her body is a mystery to her and she's very interested in and sometimes paranoid about it's functionality (wait, is that a word?). Half way through her lunch when I told her to eat until her tummy was filled she decided she needed to stop eating so she wouldn't get all filled up. At bath time tonight she was hesitant to get in the water because she believed that her body would fill up with water. I assured her that her body would be fine. But every time I pour water over her head she clasps her hand tightly over her ears yet leaves her eyes uncovered.

I love these little quirks that make up Emrie Rose. She is a precious angel that Joel and I just can't get enough of. Even though we hate to admit that she's growing up it's still fun to watch these developments of her precious mind.

6 comments:

Amber Joy said...

those are such precious Emrie-isms. I miss the little princess. You guys are so lucky to be blessed with her!

Fun and Festive said...

I'm glad you have a precious 'rose' to watch grow. Dad and I found our 'rose' quite perplexing also. Like the time she cried and cried because Daddy vacumed up a moth.

Lytles said...

What a cutie!

Sue said...

So precious!

Carrie said...

Oh how I wish we could see her! My kids would eat her up!

Richard said...

I miss that cute little granddaughter!